Monday, May 21, 2007

Finding ME in my faith

Chris looks back on some of his past writing and found he has changed a bit. I must admit I have said similar things back when I was 18 or 19 and didn't have the foggiest idea what my faith meant.

Calling Rome Home: What I said 5 years ago and how I understand it today.
I read those words from 5 years ago now and realize that my thoughts were very "me-centered". "As long as it's somewhere that you feel comfortable and you are able to worship and have fellowship with God", how much more self-centered can you get? Even though I used words like worship and fellowship the "you feel comfortable" is obviously the operative phrase. At the time I didn't feel comfortable at the Southern Baptist church I had been to in town but did feel comfortable at the Catholic Church. At the same time I felt pretty comfortable at the Southern Baptist church that I had spent my teenage years in whenever I went home from college. I remember thinking that whenever I moved again I would just have to shop around for a church that I felt comfortable in.
Sorta reaffirms what I said about if you find a church that agrees with you on most things, perhaps that is the worst place for you to be...

No comments: