Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What about children?

Gerald at The Cafeteria Is Closed asks the question, What's so great about children (?)

And he is seriously asking, from the standpoint of a man, why? He had over 75 comments when I got to it, so I am sure he is getting his answer and then some. But here is the view from a former self-seeking young man.

The easy answer is, what can be more fulfilling than co-creating another eternal soul?

Easy? Not a chance. Require sacrifice? Yes with a capital Y. I have six and one on the way. Did I ever envision myself as a father of many children? No. In fact I was too selfish to even want any. I have several siblings and they have many children, but I was never into babies. I hardly held a small child until mine were born. So I can relate to his questions. But the lesson of self-sacrifice was learned from raising children. I wouldn't be where I am today if not for those lessons.

So in other words, my salvation is heavily dependent on my children.

And as I have told my older brother who has no children, either you pay now or you pay later. Having children is an expense of time, talent and treasure. But spending that now in the service of others leads to eternal rewards. Isn't that the message of Jesus Christ? Seriously, as a parent of several children, we don't have to look far for our corporal works of mercy; feed the hungry, clothe the naked, comfort the sorrowing....

In our youth, we can spend our time on ourself or we can spend it on our children. Our choice may well determine how we spend our time in our old age and eventually eternity. And who wants to be alone and still seeking our own solitary happiness then?

So there is my answer without even resorting to the joys they bring.

No comments: