Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Emotional appeal

Shellie at Profound Gratitude shares her conversion story, but with the small caveat that she is concerned about the lack of emotion she felt in swimming the Tiber.

For a while I was quite concerned that the white-knuckle experiences of my Nazarene life (Just As I Am, 7 times at altar call) weren’t being duplicated. Our reconciliation to Rome almost seemed too…un-emotional.

One night, I begged and prayed and cried out to God: This is too important! I must hear from you. My children’s salvation and nothing less is at stake here! Please, my God, give me a word from you. I just need to hear something. I think this is right. I believe this is right, but I need a word. Thank you.”

As far as the emotional appeal. I can relate to that. I am very un-emotional and often struggle with that. But so many times I thank God after Mass that I am a Catholic. Precisely because our faith doesn’t rest on emotion. I would be a lousy protestant of any stripe because I would get nothing out of the services so often. With the kids fussing, worries of the day, distractions and all, I often struggle to get anything intellectual or emotional out of Mass. But as a Catholic, we still RECEIVE our Lord. How much grace we get out of it has some dependency on our state of mind and soul, but the Lord doesn’t depend on our fickle humanity.

So, from an un-emotional wreck. Don’t sweat the lack of it. I treasure the times that I have been blown away at Mass, few thought they are. It isn't God that is lacking, but me. The time I trembled on my way up to receive Him and cried tears of joy afterwards. The times I feel joy watching one of my children receive, or watch a whole family receive Him for the first time. (receiving Him as He asked us too, not just receiving Him into our hearts.)

1 comment:

Katrina said...

How true, and how much this resonates in my own journey of faith! I am a Protestant, I suppose (although I never think of myself as anything but a Christian...lol!) but I, too, have made a commitment to my Lord, like my commitment to my marriage, that chooses to love and to give and to stay even when my emotions are nowhere to be found.

As long as we worship Him "in spirit and in truth", we can enjoy the emotional mountaintop experiences when we have them, without our devotion flagging when we go through the low valleys, or even across the flat, unchanging plains. It's good to be reminded of that--God's choice of us is already made; our choice to follow Him is all that is needed.

Thanks for the post!