Wednesday, November 29, 2006

selfish charity

A great post over at the Crowhill Weblog, The selfish guide to charity.
 
It is something that I have also gone round and round with myself on this. I have handed out several dollars to one guy after I won the office football pool. Another time a guy approached me when I was in the drive thru. I said no thanks, but then bought an extra burger and drove round to give it to him. He didn’t seem too excited about the burger.
 
The comment by Mystagogue puts a great finishing touch on the article.  We should give despite the potential for the gift to be abused.  Why?  Simply put, Justice is God's, Mercy is ours.  We abuse our gifts from God (and we have been given more so more will be expected) more often than the beggar or homeless guy.

No comments: