Sunday, March 16, 2008

Horton hears a what?

A who, of course. Took the kids to see the "Horton hears a who" movie tonight. They all throughly enjoyed it. A positive 12 thumbs up from the 6 kids who went.

Funny thing, this is the first time I have seen or read Horton. Never read the book myself or to my kids. It definitely had that pro-life theme that I have heard about.

I guess the only bad thing I can report about the movie (other than one little snide comment at the expense of homeschooling) was the sour kangaroo and her speech at the end when she rallies the "people" of the jungle to seek out Horton and destroy the speck. What was wrong with it?

The sour kangaroo and her diatribe reminded me of Hillary Clinton. "For the children" they scream as they try to crush the innocent. Disturbing. Perhaps fitting. If only Hillary would be offered a cookie.

2 comments:

Athanasis Contra Mundum said...

I remember reading somwhere (I think LifeSite) that Horton Hears a Who is somewhat controversial regarding abortion. Pro-life groups have often cited it, but apparently Dr Seuss's widow is against the book's use for that purpose. The article mentioned that she even sued some groups to prevent them from using the book for pro-life.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Seuss is classic, i forgot how much that guy packed into such simple storylines... they didn't add much to the original story either except for the usual Jim Carreyisms.