Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Chicken or egg

If we had to divide up our activist energy as it relates to which cultural fight we would join, where would we fall?

I have thought about this on occasion. Is it more important to ensure our freedoms as Americans, or should we focus on right to life issues? This came up again in the hubub about Harriet Miers. Is it enough that she was pro-life? Anyone reading my blog would know that I think the right to life (in the legal battle) hinges on bigger issues. If we see the US Constitution as the primary protection of our God given rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, then the someone who will interpret the Consitution correctly will recognize the right to life.

So the right to life is the first and foremost, but from a judicial standpoint, we should be concerned about the whole constitution. The right to life will be taken care of in that stand.

This is why I had a problem with Priests for Life and Focus on the Family's endorsements of Miers on the sole grounds that she was pro-life.

But back to my question, where would I stand if I could only take one?

I would take it on Catholicism. I think the battles we face in our country will not be resolved without a dramatic return to morality. And I don't think morality can stand without the authority of the Church. Without that authority, the Bible can be interpreted however someone wants to twist it.

No comments: