Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Raising Cain, or Abel?

I came across this quote in Tim Drake's latest article on Catholic Exchange.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him,” wrote Chesterton.
Amazing how God works sometimes. The past couple of days I was stumped at how to teach my boys the value of defending themselves, their siblings and those they love; while teaching them that fighting is not a trait of honorable young men. And how well the genius of Chesterton explains my dilemma. To defend someone or something is honorable as long as it is out of love. (disordered love is another topic) To fight out of self-pride or anger is not honorable.
Now I pray that God will give me the grace to get this message through to them.

No comments: