Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Fiddling

As in Fiddler on the Roof and the song Tradition! The Curt Jester fisks the latest NCR editorial suggesting that people should resist the approved liturgical changes. He is dead on with his comment "Tradition is really really important especially if it only goes back 30 years or so."

Funny how those who were so quick to throw out the 2000 year old traditions get really upset if you try to change their pet 30 year traditions. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard some people say that "it is tradition here" when we discussed the First Communion before Reconciliation issue. Yes indeed, I never thought I would hear praise of tradition from these folks. But since we redefine all words to fit our arguments now, why not Tradition too?

1 comment:

Brian Michael Page said...

First Communion BEFORE Penance? If that be the case, I can see the line of adults who have made their First Communion in 1976, "Bless me Father for I have sinned, this is my FIRST confession..."

I had a hard enough time with my daughter's first Communion last year, when the CCD ijits taught them about receiving in the hand, like the tongue wasn't even an option. After the practice, I told Brittany that "yes, you can receive on the tongue", and I showed her the proper way to do it.

BMP