Wednesday, July 18, 2007

bad news bearers

Dom is the bearer of bad news, namely that it is A dark time for Catholic magazines, in particular, Crisis magazine. They are going to move to a web only format and stop printing the paper version. I completely agree with Dom on his point
And that’s a shame because, as much as the Internet scratches the itch of instant gratification, I still prefer print for longer and more thoughtful articles. Maybe it’s a sign that I’m an old geezer, but I just prefer to have paper to hold in my hands when reading anything longer than 500 words or so.
It isn't just hold the paper, it is how we read on the computer versus a book or magazine. I enjoy reclining or laying down to read, but that doesn't work with even a laptop. Neither is it convenient to take a computer with to read while I eat lunch.

I suspect the articles will still be printed, but the printing process will transfer to the readers. Might be time to fire up that old laserjet in my basement.

/aside
I can't help but wonder if some of Crisis's decline is caused by their being too closely tied to the Republican party? Now there is nothing wrong with a Catholic Mag focused on politics to point out the good points of the GOP, as far those good points go. But sometimes I sensed the support was over the top. Take for example the dolled up swine article they did on the No Child Left Behind. Expanding the federal education leviathan has no place in a supposedly conservative view. Never mind that it was a big-government Democrat idea before it became a big-government Republican idea.

All in all it was a very good magazine, with a frustratingly obtuse article every other month or so.

No comments: