Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ready for Lent

As I often mention, I love the liturgy as setup by the Church. The cycle of readings ties the Old Testament, Epistles and the Gospel together, shining light on how the Bible was meant to be read. Another wonder of how the cycle of readings benefits the Church is shown in today Gospel. Take a normal Sermon centered Protestant church and their Bible readings are dependent upon the preferences of the pastor. And consider how many priest today would be willing to tackle the difficult message of Luke 6.
Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.... Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned.
I was particularly challenged by the Gospel and even the first reading from 1 Samuel 26. How often I fall into judging others much more harshly than I could stand to be judged. The Psalm reminds us that the Lord is kind and merciful. How often I need to be reminded that when it comes to judging others, Justice is God's, mercy is ours.

No comments: