Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ughh!

I think I would have rather had some of the Jester's Iconoclast Vanilla rather than the garbage they served up last night at our parish Mardi Gras. Last year they put on a fun night of beads and mask making supplemented by what they originally meant. Then some ice cream with lots of toppings.

So the kids were fired up and ready to go this year. Although the 3 oldest were starting Lent early due to Adam's fallen nature, I took the 3 wee ones and walked in a few minutes late. I guess I must have missed the joyful celebration part. We witnessed speaker after speaker telling short tales about the poor and downtrodden of the world.

I guess the social justice component is better hear than at the Ash Wednesday Mass like a few years ago, but I can't say as the kids enjoyed the "Mardi Gras." And after laying on the guilt for being free and wealthier that 98% of the world, they served ice cream with all the toppings!

My take: I have no problem hearing about the poor. That partly what Lent is about. (other than the Social Justice crowd seems to be more affluent than many.) But that is what LENT is about. The Mardi Gras is a last hurrah, using up the fat and flesh meats before the fast. Ice cream fits the celebration. Social Justice has 40 days to ply their wares. And they shouldn't be mixed.

No comments: