Friday, December 22, 2006

the marrying kind

Excellent Commentary on Bettnet on Rabbi Boteach's article on Beliefnet on getting married young.
 
Dom calls on the married men to back him up.
The most underestimated problem of the vocations crisis is that we also have a crisis in marriage. If we had more Catholics marrying and not putting off their families, we’d have more priests.
Dead on here. Sacrifice begets sacrifice if you understand my meaning.
 
I was listening to the CD "How To Keep Your Kids Catholic" by Ken Hensley from the Lighthouse Catholic Media. He mentions how in speaking to children and young people, one sure way to reach then is to show them the way to happiness.  A 7 year old isn't going to be searching for Truth, but they are looking for happiness.  It was kind of a light bulb going on in the struggle with keeping my kids growing in their faith.  True happiness is found in Christ.  And we get to know Him by following His commandments.  It took me a while to figure that out in marriage, but I am finally starting to get the message. 
 
I got married just shy of 21.  If I had to do it all over, I would skip the tough years of marriage were I was concerned about "getting my share" or being selfish with time.  All the years I wasted looking to find happiness in selfish pursuits.  And I finally found true happiness in self-sacrifice and selfless service of my wife and family
 
I know that sounds like how TV portrays Christians with the long face and dull lives claiming they are happy.  Truth is, the dullness and sadness of being lonely and selfish are the real downers.  It is hard to explain unless you have experienced it.  But take Pascal's wager and live it for several weeks, a couple months and see what difference it makes.
 

No comments: