Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Danger

Remembering the great line from the Incredibles, "Public?  My evening is in danger!"

Today my lunch was in danger.  Seems as though being a witness may be hazardous to one's health.  At least to a peaceful lunch.

I try to pray before each meal, even when eating out.  I don't make a big show of it, it is done for my benefit, not for anybody else's.  Still, being Catholic, prayers begin and end with the Sign of the Cross.  As I sat down and started crossing myself I bowed my head.  But not before I caught a glance from an elderly lady facing me from a few booths away.

As I finished my meal, I looked up to see her husband approaching.  He mentioned noticing the Sign of the Cross and asked if I was Catholic.  I assented but then his next question perked up the senses that he wasn't really Catholic. 

"Did I go to church around here?"

"No." and I mentioned my parish.  Funny thing is my parish is St. Pius X.  Which can be mistaken for the Society of St. Pius X, which is not Catholic but schismatic.   And in a tell-tale confusion, he tried to distinguish between following Rome or being from the Society?  Finally after mentioning "the pope" and Rome, he finally asked if I followed Benedict.  I said I was from the Roman Catholic Church, not the schismatic society. 

We had a nice chat, or should I say I listened, objected a few times and eventually gave him my address so he could send me some material.  (more so that I could research his theme and send HIM some material.  For God desires that all be saved.)  He wasn't part of the Society, but following his own little pope here in the northwest.  Of course this pope was a secret and very few know about him.  I can't wait to find out who he is.  And I will be watching the mail.

No comments: