Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Idaho Rose

Micheal Duff writes a good opinion article in the Idaho Statesmen on why we need the marriage amendment.

"Idaho Rose" and her liberal kindred spirits are manifestly at odds on this issue (as they are on a number of issues) with the rest of their fellow citizens. For instance, in November 2004, 11 states approved amendments defending marriage on the same day. In those 11 states, 67 of 71 daily newspapers supported homosexual marriage while the average vote of the people in support of traditional marriage was 70.2 percent.
Certainly a majority of Idahoans supports marriage on moral grounds, which means, for "Idaho Rose," that they are bigots.

If that isn't a telling demographic! Only 4 of the 71 papers in those states represent the mainstream view of 70% of the population. And yet it is the Christians that are out of touch.

tip to DFO


Sean Sirrine said...

Well, I have to admit that I think the Christians are out of touch on this one. As I've said over and over again to so many Idahoans, it is important not to forget the lessons of history.

If voters had been left to decide if we should keep slaves, what percentage of the white voting population do you think would have voted against it?

If voters had been left to decide if women should get the right to vote, what percentage of the male voting population would have voted against it?

And most closely aligned to this issue are the laws that were put in place to keep whites from marrying blacks. Over 80% of voters thought "it was a moral imperative".

We would call all of those voters bigots now. Are you claiming they weren't? What makes your vote any different?

KaleJ said...

If it were up to the voters? Licoln would have voted against freeing the slaves.
"in an 1858 debate Lincoln said, "I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people"

That tidbit was just so you know. Slavery was on its way out. By choice. The civil war wasn't about slaves. Just ask Lincoln.

Anyway, how can 70% of the people be out of touch with the mainstream view? Wouldn't that make the other 30% out of touch? Just because we don't buy into the media representing homosexuals as an oppressed minority doesn't make us out of touch.

Throwing the bigot word out there shows the lack of thought in this concept.
Bigotry:A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own.

the media practices bigotry on Christians, not the other way around.