Friday, February 24, 2006

Cosmic reality of sin

This thread on CAEI reminded me of something else I have read on sin. Something that I have shared with my kids and my wife rather liked.

Sin doesn't just affect us. There is a moral fiber that runs throughout the world. When we sin, we weaken that fiber, like pulling the strands off a fraying rope. (sorry I can't give a reference this, but that part was developed by someone else.) Just like the sin of David and Bathsheba didn't just affect them. Their son died and then the the Kingdom was split forever. Abraham's lack of trust in God gave us Ismael and the result of Islam.

So be careful what you do. It may have a more profound impact than you can ever imagine. I think this will be my focus for lent. The small things I do matter.

No comments: