Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Monday morning quarterbacking from the confessional

Rom 11:32, For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.

In the confessional this weekend, part the advice was to be thankful for God's mercy AND for my need of his mercy. I was to recognize this need and be thankful.
Then on Sunday the Epistle was from Romans 11. This was the last verse. St. Paul is speaking to Jews, but this spoke to me in light of my confessor's advice. We are all sinners and need God's mercy.

Why did God hit me with a one-two punch? Other than for the simple fact of getting my attention, I would say it is for humility. Remember, Justice is God's, Mercy is ours. Rather than judge, I should recognize we are all disobedient and have need of his mercy.

One of the great saints, I think Theresa of Avila or St Terese', made some complaint or less than charitable comment on her deathbed and was rebuked by her superior. She then thanked God that even then she was still in need of his mercy.

No comments: